Wednesday, May 20, 2026
24.5 C
Abuja

Trump Bombs Iran  

Despite most Americans, including many of his supporters, opposing the war, President Donald Trump ordered bombers to target three nuclear sites in Iran. In a television address at 10 P.M. (ET), Trump announced the operation as a “spectacular military success” and said the three sites had been “completely and totally obliterated.” 

Trump also went on Truth Social to state that “We have completed our very successful attack on the three nuclear sites in Iran, including Fordow, Natanz, and Esfahan. All planes are now outside of Iran air space. A full payload of BOMBS was dropped on the primary site, Fordow. All planes are safely on their way home.” 

Trump ordered these strikes without congressional approval, contradicting his campaign promise to avoid disasters like those in Iraq, Libya, and Afghanistan.   

Following the attacks, the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) has stated that the attacks are a violation of international law and that Iran’s nuclear industry will continue its development. 

A statement issued by the AEOI confirmed that early on Sunday morning, Iran’s nuclear sites were “subjected to savage aggression–an act in violation of international laws, particularly the NPT.” 

The AEOI further stated that “This action, which violates international regulations, unfortunately took place under the indifference–and even complicity–of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). 

“The American enemy, through virtual space and by the declaration of its president, has taken responsibility for the attacks on the mentioned sites, which are under continuous IAEA monitoring in accordance with the Safeguards Agreement and the NPT. 

The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran expressed its expectation that the international community will denounce the actions and support Iran in asserting its rights. 

“The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran assures the great nation of Iran that despite the malicious plots of its enemies, with the dedication of thousands of revolutionary and motivated scientists and experts, it will not allow the development of this national industry–built on the blood of nuclear martyrs–to be halted. This organization is taking the necessary steps to defend the rights of the noble Iranian people, including legal actions,” the statement concluded. 

Iranian officials have minimized the significance of the strikes, with one lawmaker describing them as “superficial” and asserting that they did not cause serious damage to Fordow. Iranian leaders have cautioned that the attack will have “everlasting consequences,” and have called for an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council.

Also, the Iranian Foreign Ministry has reported that the United States has initiated a conflict by targeting Iran’s nuclear facilities on Sunday, as per a statement from Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency. 

“The world must not forget that it was the United States that, in the midst of a diplomatic process, betrayed diplomacy,” the ministry statement said. Describing Israel as “genocidal and lawless,” the statement accused the US of launching “a dangerous war against Iran.” 

The ministry stated that the attacks violated the UN charter and international law, holding the US government responsible for the consequences. It asserted Iran’s right to resist US aggression and defend its national security by any means. The ministry urged the UN and the IAEA to address the illegality promptly and called for an emergency UN Security Council session to condemn the strikes. 

 

Hot this week

NNPC Limited Alerts Public to False Claims Over Refinery Scrap Sales 

 In its release signed by Andy Odeh, its Chief Corporate Communications Officer, the company clarified that it has not authorized or issued requests for bids, tenders, expressions of interest, or approvals concerning the sale of scrap materials, refinery components, or other items from its warehouses or inventories. The company underscored that any information circulating in public forums suggesting otherwise is inaccurate and should be disregarded. 

Supreme Court Cancels PDP Convention; BoT Assumes Leadership 

In a dramatic turn on Thursday, the apex court invalidated the November 15–16, 2025 convention held in Ibadan, which produced the Kabiru Tanimu Turaki-led National Working Committee (NWC). The ruling also upheld the suspension of key party officials, including Samuel Anyanwu, Umar Bature and Kamaldeen Ajibade. 

Opposition Parties Unite in Ibadan, Vow Single Candidate for 2027

Opposition political parties in Nigeria on Saturday resolved to form a united front ahead of the 2027 general elections, including plans to field a single presidential candidate, as they accused the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) of undermining democracy. The resolution, contained in a communiqué issued at the end of a national summit in Ibadan, warned against what participants described as attempts by the APC to impose a one-party state on the country. The parties pledged to “resist all machinations” that could threaten Nigeria’s multi-party system.

White House Correspondents’ Dinner Interrupted by Shooting Incident 

Just after 8:30 p.m., while President Trump and Melania Trump were engaging with entertainer Oz Pearlman on stage, a man, later identified as Cole Tomas Allen, sprinted through a security checkpoint carrying a shotgun. Secret Service agents pursued and exchanged gunfire with him, quickly subduing Allen before he could reach the ballroom. Inside, guests enjoying their salads were startled by loud, cracking sounds, leading to confusion and panic as armed law enforcement swept in and shouted for everyone to get down. 

President Tinubu Felicitates NNPC Board Chair Musa Kida at 65

President Tinubu Felicitates NNPC Board Chair Musa Kida at 65

Topics

NNPC Limited Alerts Public to False Claims Over Refinery Scrap Sales 

 In its release signed by Andy Odeh, its Chief Corporate Communications Officer, the company clarified that it has not authorized or issued requests for bids, tenders, expressions of interest, or approvals concerning the sale of scrap materials, refinery components, or other items from its warehouses or inventories. The company underscored that any information circulating in public forums suggesting otherwise is inaccurate and should be disregarded. 

Supreme Court Cancels PDP Convention; BoT Assumes Leadership 

In a dramatic turn on Thursday, the apex court invalidated the November 15–16, 2025 convention held in Ibadan, which produced the Kabiru Tanimu Turaki-led National Working Committee (NWC). The ruling also upheld the suspension of key party officials, including Samuel Anyanwu, Umar Bature and Kamaldeen Ajibade. 

Opposition Parties Unite in Ibadan, Vow Single Candidate for 2027

Opposition political parties in Nigeria on Saturday resolved to form a united front ahead of the 2027 general elections, including plans to field a single presidential candidate, as they accused the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) of undermining democracy. The resolution, contained in a communiqué issued at the end of a national summit in Ibadan, warned against what participants described as attempts by the APC to impose a one-party state on the country. The parties pledged to “resist all machinations” that could threaten Nigeria’s multi-party system.

White House Correspondents’ Dinner Interrupted by Shooting Incident 

Just after 8:30 p.m., while President Trump and Melania Trump were engaging with entertainer Oz Pearlman on stage, a man, later identified as Cole Tomas Allen, sprinted through a security checkpoint carrying a shotgun. Secret Service agents pursued and exchanged gunfire with him, quickly subduing Allen before he could reach the ballroom. Inside, guests enjoying their salads were startled by loud, cracking sounds, leading to confusion and panic as armed law enforcement swept in and shouted for everyone to get down. 

President Tinubu Felicitates NNPC Board Chair Musa Kida at 65

President Tinubu Felicitates NNPC Board Chair Musa Kida at 65

We Are Better Together: A Caution to the Advocates of Separation

It must first be clearly stated that the North’s preference for Nigerian unity is not because it is incapable of standing on its own, nor because it is uniquely dependent on the present federal arrangement for its existence. Historically, the North demonstrated a strong capacity for political cohesion and governance under the regional system, where the Caliphate produced the Premier and the Sultanate provided the Governor. With a vast, geographically contiguous landmass, a dominant lingua franca and largely shared religious and cultural frameworks, a substantial part of Northern Nigeria has historically functioned as a coherent political space.

PDP Disputes Ibadan Court, Affirms NWC Validity 

The PDP chairman noted that the Ibadan ruling was only one of several judgments of the Federal High Court on the matter and that the core issues were already before the Court of Appeal. He described the decision as “technically academic” pending an authoritative pronouncement by the appellate court. Turaki reassured party members that the National Working Committee produced by the Ibadan Convention remained “legally intact and firmly in place,” and committed to what he described as the party’s ongoing rebirth.

A Setback for Wike in PDP Crisis 

While the Supreme Court’s earlier intervention briefly revived Anyanwu’s standing, Tuesday’s dismissal signals that legal victories alone may no longer be enough to secure long-term control. The struggle within the PDP is increasingly shifting from courtrooms to internal political negotiations, and in that arena, the momentum appears to be slipping away from the Wike camp.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img